Theft / Fraud
Stealing something that does not belong to you is considered a theft crime. In recent years theft crimes have almost doubled due to a poor economy and staggering unemployment rates. The average everyday law-abiding citizen is turning to theft crimes in order to meet the needs of their family and/or children. They will break the law in order to not lose everything and to maintain their current lifestyle. At The Law Office of Jeff T. Ohara we understand that times are rough, and that you may have been accused of a theft crime and are now needing the advice of a skilled criminal defense attorney.
Theft crimes include the following:
- Robbery - Using physical force or fear to steal property or money from another person. In most cases, a weapon is used. This can be charged as aggravated or armed robbery depending on the circumstances.
- Shoplifting - This crime is the theft of property or money from a retail store or place of business.
- Identity Theft - This type of theft/fraud is committed when someone steals another's identity for personal gain. In most instances it is for monetary gain. It is considered a white collar crime and can be tried in state or federal court.
- Auto Theft - Stealing someone's vehicle without their permission is auto theft. If a person was in the vehicle at the time it is stolen, then it is considered carjacking and kidnapping charges may apply.
- Fraud - Fraud is a crime that is generally used to defraud another for your own personal gain. It may involve forged documents, deceit and lies and may fall under the crime of identity theft.
- Embezzlement - This is a white collar crime that occurs when one takes money or goods with which they were previously entrusted. It generally occurs in a business setting. It is a white collar crime and it can be tried in either state or federal court.
If you, or someone close to you, has been accused of a theft crime you should immediately hire a criminal defense lawyer in order to protect your rights. Failure to retain the services of a qualified attorney will greatly increase your chances of receiving the maximum penalties for the crime being charged if convicted.
At The Law Office of Jeff T. Ohara we provide our clients with superior legal advice and service in a non-judgmental environment. We are here to help you, listen to your side of the story and determine what options we have to give you a fighting chance at freedom. It is critical that we meet as soon as possible in order to begin the process of protecting you and your rights.